Forget resolutions. Setting personal goals is a great way to stay accountable to yourself in the New Year. Here are my 7 goals for 2017.
I didn’t choose a word for 2016 — at least not one I can remember. I didn’t really make any resolutions either. And my usual list of goals for the year was absent too. Last year was the year I decided to wing it. To see where life took me. To put one foot in front of the other without making a checklist first.
As someone who thrives on planning, goal setting and checking things off the good ol’ to-do list, it’s probably not surprising how off-kilter I felt at times.
In the end, 2016 for me can be summed up in one word: rudderless.
It was an interesting experiment, but not one I’d repeat. So this year, I am starting the year off right with goals to help me live well and achieve more. What are they?
7 Goals for 2017
- 52 Books in 52 Weeks: At some point last year, I realized I was reading less than ever. Most of the books I finished were for work. There was very little reading for fun or pleasure — and I missed it. Honestly, I think my mind is better and stronger (and my writing too) when I read often. So in 2017, I am going for it. This is the year I will read 52 books … and I am going to write about all of them.
- Cook Outside My Comfort Zone: When it comes to the kitchen, it’s time to push my boundaries. I want to try (cooking) new cuisines. Bake things I haven’t dared tackle before. And overall, I want to just cook more — and write about it more. From homemade croissants to Korean food to more cheap, healthy meals, I’m excited for all the tasty adventure to come.
- End 2017 Weighing Less Than I Did When It Began: Many folks have ups and downs in their weight, myself included. But in 2017, I want to reverse the upward trend that felt out of control last year. Eating healthier, exercising more and enjoying treats in moderation is on the docket.
- Write More: I am happiest when I write often about all the things that matter to me, interest me or otherwise catch my eye. So in 2017, I want to write more for more outlets and about more things. Essays, short stories, perhaps even another book.
- Blog Like the Old Days: After 11+ years of blogging, I’ve seen the landscape and tenor of blogs change dramatically. Over the years, I’ve shifted with it — adding photos, dabbling in video, including printable recipes, etc. A lot of these shifts have been great. But one I haven’t loved: blogs feel so much less personal than before. This year, I want to return to blogging’s roots with a more personal take in my writing. I hope you’ll enjoy it.
- Save, Save, Save: Enough cannot be said about the importance of saving money — and that’s something I want to do a lot of in 2017.
- Buy a House: I can’t believe I am putting this in writing, because it’s the item on this list that scares me the most — and that I most want. Rental living has been fun. Not having to take care of yard work or snow cleanup is blissfully wonderful. But it’s not without challenges — we share walls on two sides, have to share a parking lot and can’t really control the space we live in that much. After two years of looking for a bigger rental for my kids and I — and a lot of soul searching — it’s time to buy. I want to put down roots, own a home and make it our own.
As for a word for 2017, its “Thrive.” Thrive represents my desire to grow, flourish and be prosperous. It reinforces my heart’s desire for my children — that they also continue to develop, bloom and succeed. Like a mantra, this will be the word I come back to throughout the year.
What about you? What’s on your goal list for 2017? Do you have a word for the year?