Starting the day off right with an Evolution Fresh green juice and a winter citrus fruit salad is a sip in the right direction for a healthy life.
A few years ago, around Christmas, I got a wake up call. I’d fallen very ill with the flu — the kind of illness where you sleep near constantly, and can’t get out of bed. Amid vivid, but confusing, dreams, I realized something: I needed to live a healthier life. When I emerged from the cloud of sickness, that’s what I did.
Making healthier choices — eating better, watching portion sizes, moving and exercising more — I lost weight, dropped sizes and generally just felt better. In the process, I learned that I love long walks with friends, hiking and riding my bike. There was more laughter in my life. Getting dressed was fun again. And I was generally happier.
The rewards of a healthy life are many — I felt so good. That was a lifestyle I maintained for a few years, happy all the time.
Of course, like other folks, I started to slip eventually. It started with my eating. I wasn’t paying as much attention to it — there was so much good food to enjoy, and I did … but then it started to catch up with me. Then I found myself walking less. My office moved, so the three flights of stairs I climbed multiple times each day were no longer, and I also took less time for walks — though I continued to hike. And finally, the weight came back. That’s why, as I approached the New Year, I started to mull how I could live better in 2017. It’s time.
My healthier 2017 started with better nutrition. Specifically, I needed to stop relying so heavily on carbs, eat more fruits and veggies and generally rethink my portion sizes. And I also needed to make breakfast a priority again. A good breakfast gives you the energy you need to power through the day.
Every day is a chance to do better, eat well and live healthier. And what better way to do so then with a nutritious breakfast of Evolution Fresh green juice and a citrus fruit salad?
I recently teamed up with Evolution Fresh to spread the word about how those simple choices can improve your life. “Take a Sip in a Brighter Direction,” is all about baby steps to a healthier way of life.
Are you familiar with Evolution Fresh? This company creates cold-pressed juices using fruits and veggies. The nutritious, satisfying, delicious juices are both good for you and tasty. Cold-pressed juices are made using high-pressure processing to preserve the taste and nutrients of fruits and veggies. And Evolution Fresh juices have no artificial colors or flavors.
I hope your efforts have been successful. And even if your biggest goals aren’t quite coming along, there’s something wonderful to celebrate about making simple, easy, positive health and wellness choices. Little steps can lead to such a wonderful brighter direction.
What I’m Doing to Be Healthier in 2017
- Sleep more — I am so guilty of going to bed too late and waking super early because I have so much to do. But sleep is key to a healthy lifestyle, so I am making it a priority to go to bed earlier — and rise a little later when I need to.
- Drink more H20 — Your body needs to be hydrated to function properly. This has been a priority of mine for a long time, and it continues to be. I drink as much water as I can everyday, bringing a water cup with ice to ensure I remember.
- Eat breakfast — The temptation to skip breakfast can be great. But you need that fuel to energize you throughout the day. So I am making it a priority to eat every morning.
- More fruits and veggies — My body needs the vitamins and minerals that fruits and veggies provide. That means snacking on fruits and veggies, making more fruit salads and drinking healthy juices like the ones from Evolution Fresh — especially those green juices like Green Devotion, Smooth Greens & Kale and Essential Greens®. And Citrus Fruit Salad, naturally.
- Get out more — Walking, biking, hiking … I am making it a priority to all of these things more, more, more!
- 1 red grapefruit, , peeled, segmented and halved
- 1 large naval orange, , peeled, segmented and halved
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Let sit for five minutes and then mix again.