Flounder is a mild, white fish that is delicious served sauteed, baked and more. Here are five more facts to learn more about this popular fish.
Okay … as a child of the 80s and 90s, whenever I hear the word “flounder,” I think about a certain sweet fishy friend of the beautiful, curious, clear-voiced Ariel in The Little Mermaid. The iconic Disney film was one of my favorites — and the first new Disney cartoon I remember seeing in a cinema.
Actually, that was kind of significant. I remember it being a really big deal that Disney was releasing an all-new animated film.
But aside from the cute cartoon fish, flounder is delicious. It’s a tender fish that’s beautiful baked and sauteed. It can also be fried — like in your favorite fish and chips recipe. Plus it’s pretty versatile. Why? Read on to find out …
Five Fun Facts about Flounder
- Flounder is … flat. The actual fish, I mean. (Actually, very much like Ariel’s friend … fancy that!).
- Flounder has … a mild flavor. When you see recipes calling for a mild white fish, it can be a good choice. It’s a lean white fish with a flaky flesh. It works well in fish and chips, fish tacos, fish stews … you get the idea.
- Flounder refers to … four different fish. That’s right. According to the NOAA, there are four fish that fall into this category — arrowtooth, summer, winter and yellowtail. Winter and yellowtail are most commonly caught in New England.
- Flounder has … good and bad varieties in terms of sustainability. You should really check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch chart on flounder before you buy. It really does matter — for you and for the Earth. Choosing sustainable seafood helps keep our bodies of water plentiful with fish. In the long term, we want that so that fish continue to be a good and viable food.
- Flounder is … really delicious in Oven Poached Flounder with Garlic and Olive Oil. Just sayin’. In case you wanted to make it or something.
Are you a fan of this fish? What’s your favorite way to prepare it? Share in the comments below!
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. Her latest cookbook is The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook, published by Rockridge Press, which focuses on quick, easy, from-scratch cooking for busy people. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.