With a buttery sweet topping and a delightful mix of fruits, this easy Apple Blueberry Crisp recipe is a total dessert winner.
The blueberries came first, plump and juicy and waiting to be enjoyed. But for some reason, they went ignored. Then the apples arrived, and I love apples. But there were more than we could eat.
Then came the idea: It’s winter here in Maine, so why not transform the blueberries and apples into a hot dessert? Something that might go especially well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream?
Warm desserts with cold ice cream are pretty special, after all.
So that’s what I made. This easy Apple Blueberry Crisp comes together swiftly in a pie plate and bakes to bubbling perfection. Then it sits for a bit to firm up. If you made this just before dinner, it would be ready for serving by the time you finished your peas.
Make sure you have the vanilla ice cream ready. I prefer vanilla bean, but reach for whatever vanilla variety you favor. And yes, they are different.
This lovely, easy dessert is perfect for winter evenings.
What I love most about this crisp is the topping, which is appropriately buttery, sweet, rich and crumbly. When I am eating this, I try to get a bit of fruit, topping and vanilla ice cream all on the same spoonful. But enjoy it however you like. Ice cream, whipped cream, just the crisp — it’s good all the ways.
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ cup uncooked oats
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a pie pan, toss together the sliced apples, blueberries, sugar and flour. Spread into an even layer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the oats, light brown sugar, all purpose flour, butter and salt. Crumble over the top of the apple blueberry mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown on top. It will be juicy when you pull it from the oven, but this thickens upon standing. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.