Making French toast for breakfast or brunch? This Caramelized Bananas recipe makes a perfect topping for your meal.
I used to think that if banana trees could talk, they would express fear at the mere mention of my children, Will and Paige. When they were little, the pair of them were big banana enthusiasts. Back then, Paige would run to the kitchen nearly every morning with an outstretched hand to retrieve a perfectly ripe banana.
She was a girl who knew what she wanted.
As soon as she had one, Will would grab one too.
Back in those days, we went through so many bananas that I sometimes joked I was mom to the Banana Monsters. These days, I still adore bananas and Will eats them frequently. And though Paige doesn’t reach for them as often, she is quick to order banana dishes — from pancakes to ice cream.
Bananas are still beloved in our house, even as my kids grow into young adults.
So these delicious, syrup-y caramelized bananas? They are a favorite all around. The kids devour these lightly caramelized bananas on their French toast (and they’re amazing on ice cream, waffles and pancakes too!). Considering that this recipe is ridiculously easy to make and totally delicious (you don’t need any maple syrup when you’ve got these!), there is no excuse not to upgrade your breakfast with this caramelized bananas recipe.
But who can say not to something that tastes this good?
- 2 medium-sized ripe, , but not overripe, bananas
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Slice the bananas on a diagonal into 1/4-1/2 inch slices.
- In a bowl, stir together the banana slices, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Add one small pinch of Kosher salt and continue stirring until all the banana pieces are coated. It should become a little syrup-y.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter, swirling the pan to coat all sides. When the butter begins to bubble, add the bananas and all the syrup-y mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, until the bananas soften and caramelize slightly.
- Serve immediately.