This rich chocolate mocha cupcake is topped with creamy, sweet peppermint frosting for the perfect Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes. Try these for your next holiday party — they are sure to draw raves.
When I first started writing about food and food blogging, it was 2005. My son was three-months-old and I was figuring out what I wanted to cook and write about. Over the course of the last 18 (!) years, I’ve discovered that I love quick and easy cooking almost as I love being challenged to do something.
And it was a challenge more than a decade ago that led to the creation of these cupcakes. An editor asked me to turn favorite holiday drinks into cupcakes.
Let’s pause here for a minute to recognize how long the peppermint mocha craze has been going on. Starbucks first introduced the Peppermint Mocha in 2002 — that’s 21 years ago! The seasonal flavors trend has been going on for decades, even if it feels a little new every year. Wild.
Anyway, that’s what led me to work on creating a rich chocolate cupcake spiked with coffee and topped with a cool, creamy frosting. And I am so glad I did because this cupcake is amazing and should be part of your holiday plans,
My Peppermint Mocha Latte Cupcake recipe creates a moist chocolate mocha cupcake that is topped with peppermint frosting and a sprinkling of crushed candy canes. It’s simply divine.
Try these for your next holiday party — they are sure to draw raves.
Looking for more peppermint inspiration? Try my Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies Treats too!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 packet decaf instant coffee (such as Starbucks Via)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Peppermint frosting (recipe follows)
- Crushed candy canes (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and instant coffee until it is evenly mixed. Add the egg, milk, canola oil and vanilla to the bowl. Whisk steadily for 2 minutes by hand.
- Drizzle the hot water into the mixing bowl and whisk gently to combine until the batter is loose and well-combined.
- Divide the cake batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely. Frost with peppermint frosting (instructions follow) and sprinkle with crushed peppermints, if desired.
- Combine the butter and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until combined (on low speed and working up to a higher speed).
- With the mixer running on medium, drizzle the milk into the butter mixture a little at a time until fully incorporated. Add the peppermint extract and beat well to combine.
- Scrape the sides and beat one more time.
- If the frosting is too loose to pipe onto the cupcakes, chill for 10-20 minutes to stiffen.
- Use as desired.