This easy recipe for Make Ahead Mashed Potato Bowls with Broccoli and Cheddar for Lunch Boxes was created as a pairing for Yoplait Go-GURT Protein. All opinions are my own.
August and September are always hot times for lunch box ideas. They appear all over the place — on blogs, websites and in magazines. Readers devour them. But, before you can blink, it’s pumpkin and apple season. It doesn’t matter that we are all still packing lunch boxes every day — that’s not the it topic anymore.
But my friend Cate and I know that lunch box packing remains an important subject all year long. That’s why we created The Lunch Box Ladies. Couldn’t you use some lunch box inspiration in October? Or February? Or any time during the school year? And that’s also why I was so excited when Yoplait Go-GURT asked me to create a recipe to pack in lunch boxes with their new Yoplait Go-GURT Protein yogurt tubes.
Have you seen the new Yoplait Go-GURT Protein? They are the latest thing from the Yoplait line of yogurt in tubes. Each tube has 5 grams of protein but they still have the same great taste that my kids adore. And I love that they contain no high-fructose corn syrup.
Since these yogurts are so rich in protein, I decided to create a vegetarian lunch box that’s both fun and tasty for my son. This covers both his snack time and lunch at school. Here’s what I included:
- Make Ahead Mashed Potato Bowls with Broccoli and Cheddar
- Yoplait Go-GURT Protein Strawberry Superstar Yogurt
- Fresh Strawberries
Also, I wanted to pass along my very favorite tip for yogurt tubes: freeze them. When you keep them frozen and tuck them into lunch boxes, they keep food in the lunch box cold while slowly defrosting during the day. Best of all, when it’s time to eat them, they are still cold for kids.
Now, these mashed potato bowls. Piping hot mashed potatoes. Tender, steamed broccoli. Sharp cheddar. It’s a delicious combination that my kids love — and yet so simple. You whip up a basic, easy batch of mashed potatoes. Store them in the fridge. Then, when you need to pack lunches, just spoon mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheddar into insulated containers.
Easy. Simple. Delicious. And absolutely perfect served with fresh fruit and protein-rich Yoplait GoGurt Protein. Score one for the mama.
PS – Be sure to also check out how Cate used the Go-Gurt Protein tubes in a lunch for her kids!
- 4 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ¼-1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed to crisp tender.
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup steamed broccoli
- 2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, heat the potatoes covered with water to boiling. Continue to boil for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Drain well. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Stir in the milk, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To prepare the mashed potato bowls, heat the mashed potatoes to extra hot (2-3 minutes in the microwave, stirring after each minute). Divide evenly among four insulated food containers (don’t fill more than ⅔ of the container with mashed potatoes. If there is extra, save for another day).
- Reheat the broccoli (or steam to tender) and divide evenly among the bowls. Top each bowl with cheddar cheese. Seal tightly, and enjoy at school or work.
Disclosure: I was compensated for creating this recipe, but all opinions are my own.