This easy recipe for Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli and Potatoes Au Gratin Casserole was created for a client, but all opinions are my own.
This Christmas season has felt a little backwards. Most years, I have my shopping done with in the first week of December and presents wrapped shortly thereafter. This year, I’ve just barely finished shopping and haven’t wrapped a single present yet.
Christmas is in two days.
Most years, I start baking cookies at least a week before Christmas. This year, I started today. Most of our cookies will be baked by the end of the day and distributed tomorrow.
Meanwhile, decorating started early this year — three weeks earlier than usual. Thanks to the magic of artificial trees, we aren’t limited to a short window of tree-enjoyment any longer (I have an allergy to real trees, sadly).
Amid all this, there’s been some wonderfulness coming out of the changes to our routines. Shopping was delayed this year because I only spent cash (which meant waiting for clients to pay me!). By spending only what I could budget, there is no holiday debt this year. I won’t be cringing at credit card bills in January because I didn’t charge anything. That’s something that makes me extremely happy. Also, I finally really experienced what I’ve heard for years: there are some really fabulous sales the week before Christmas. As for the baking? I’m okay with a delayed start, as long as the cookies are enjoyed.
All the same, big routine change-ups are stressful. There were dozens of moments over the last few weeks where I wondered if I could really pull off a last minute holiday shopping extravaganza and still get meaningful presents for everyone on my list. (The answer is yes. Thankfully.) Though the idea of wrapping every single present on Christmas Eve is daunting, I know it will be okay.
This Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli and Potatoes Au Gratin Casserole is the opposite of stressful. It’s comfort food in a casserole dish — tender bits of chicken and broccoli are bathed in cheddar and topped with potatoes au gratin. It’s a simple dish, really, but also totally packed with flavor.
Yesterday, as I was preparing to finish Christmas shopping in an single evening (a big feat given our sizable family and how few presents I’d purchased at that point), this cheesy casserole was the perfect lunch solution. With just a few ingredients, this is a hearty favorite of kids and adults alike.
Whether you need something for an easy dinner or are looking for some serious comfort food during the post-holiday stupor, this Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli and Potatoes Au Gratin Casserole is an excellent solution.
- 1 box Betty Crocker Au Gratin Casserole Potatoes, plus ingredients to prepare
- 1 lb boneless chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen broccoli cuts
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare Betty Crocker Au Gratin Casserole Potatoes according to package directions.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through – about 10 minutes.
- In a 2.5-quart casserole dish, combine the chicken, frozen broccoli and cheddar cheese. Top with the potato mixture.
- Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes until heated through.
Disclosure: I was compensated for creating this recipe but all opinions are my own.