Can we talk brownies? This spiced brownies recipe is a favorite around Valentine’s Day since it combines aphrodisiacs with a perennial favorite: Brownies!
There’s nothing like a great homemade brownie — and these are definitely great.
So what is it with these brownies? Well, they have a myriad of ingredients that are thought to be aphrodisiacs including cocoa, vanilla, honey, coffee, and ginger. It’s sure to get your honey bunny revving to go…if you believe in the power of aphrodisiacs, that is.
To serve, place in the center of a plate and sift powdered sugar over the brownie. Or serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge for an extra jolt.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, , softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup brewed espresso or strong coffee
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to mix on low for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium-high and mix for an additional 1 minute.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Spread out evenly.
- Slide pan into the preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick slid into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool before cutting into squares.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.