My son Will, who’s almost 3, and I love fish. We both love the many flavors of it, and I love how nutritious it is.
Mahi mahi is one of my favorites, but it can be quite pricey, so pick some up when it’s on sale (it was last week!) and try this. The crunchy and moist coconut topping is fabulous with the firm, but light, white fish. Serve with a fruited salsa — Mango Salsa, perhaps.
In terms of nutrition, mahi mahi is “low in saturated fat and a good source of vitamin B12, phosphorus, and potassium,” according to U.S. Seafood Facts from the NOAA Fisheries. It’s also relatively low in mercury (more than cod, less than halibut – nowhere near as much as swordfish). It is a source of omega 3 fatty acids, but it doesn’t not as much as other fish like salmon and halibut.
Did you know that the name mahi mahi is Hawaiian and means strong strong?
More Fish Recipes:
Coconut Crusted Mahi Mahi
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- cooking oil spray
- 4 mahi mahi fillets, about 6 oz each
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko, coconut, flour and butter.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking oil spray. Place the mahi mahi fillets on the baking sheet. Sprinkle liberally with sea salt and pepper. Bake for five minutes.
- Remove mahi mahi from the oven and drizzle with olive oil. Divide the coconut mixture between the fillets and pat down lightly, covering the entire top. Place the pan back in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes, until the crust is golden and the fish flakes with a fork.
- Let the mahi mahi rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Saturday 10th of September 2016
This was great using gluten free panko and flour. I used a mango coconut sauce with it. Fantastic!
Sarah Walker Caron
Sunday 11th of September 2016
So glad you liked it! Thank you, Rebecca!
Coconut Crusted Mahi Mahi Bites
Monday 23rd of March 2015
[…] The coconut crust is adapted from Sarah’s Cucina Bella. […]
ARF/5-A-Day #122 | Food & Life
Wednesday 4th of June 2008
[...] And Sarah from Sarah’s Cucina Bella finishes us off this week with the very antioxidant-friendly Coconut Crusted Mahi Mahi: [...]