Bake up a sweet batch of muffins perfect for any day. These Lemon Blueberry Muffins have that sweet-tart lemon flavor with bits of juicy, sweet blueberries. It’s a beautiful combination.
When I was in high school, I had a close group of friends who always hung out together. As groups of friends go, we weren’t always all the best of friends — there were ebbs and flows, just like any relationship. But one thing was certain: when we got together, we all had a ton of fun.
One of those friends was Lisa. She was an honors student who loved English class just like me. We had most of our classes together, except for language — she was a French student, I was a Spanish one. So, we spent a lot of time together in and out of school.
When I think of her, one thing that sticks out in my mind is her absolute love of Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. I smile just thinking about her waxing poetic about their many virtues.
Now me? I don’t think I had eaten — let alone heard of — lemon poppy seed anything before her. But once I tried them, I discovered that they were every bit as good as she said.
However, unlike Lisa, I just couldn’t bear the idea of poppy seeds getting caught in my teeth (call me vain … ok, I probably was). So, I didn’t eat them often.
Last week though, my local supermarket’s bakery had mini muffins on sale and I picked up a package. I’d almost forgotten how much I love the sweet lemony flavor … mmm. But something struck me as I ate them: I still really don’t like the poppy seeds. I could totally do without them, in fact. That got me thinking about how I could have my lemon without the hassle of the seeds.
These Lemon Blueberry Muffins are filled with that lovely lemon flavor, sweetened and dotted with juicy blueberries. It’s delicate and delicious.
And really … lemon and blueberry are two flavors that really go well together. Aren’t they? Well, my kids and I thought so. I think you will too.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2/3 cup granular sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, (melted and cooled)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin papers.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, butter, vanilla and lemon zest. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and whisk to combine until smooth. Stir in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Place in the oven and cook for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before eating. Store leftovers in an airtight container.