When mustard greens appeared in my CSA box last week, I didn’t even have a chance to groan before my beloved farmer told me to just try them. My farmer knows me well — anything with the word ‘mustard’ in it is sure to send me packing.
However, I do believe in trying everything once, so I immediately ripped a leaf off and took a nibble. Turns out the course green has a pleasant taste with a touch of peppery-ness. Better yet, it doesn’t taste like mustard. At all. Color me a convert.
Immediately, I started planning this salad. Sweet-ish beet greens with the peppery mustard greens and a light but flavorful homemade vinaigrette. Add in a bit of salty feta, sweet raw beets and fresh tomatoes … oh yea. It was destined to be good. And guess what? It was.
When serving this, I did something that I normally don’t do: I didn’t reveal exactly what the salad was made of. Generally, I am a firm believer in disclosure so that everyone knows and willingly eats what’s on the table. But I knew the mention of mustard greens — something that I was hesitant about — would be a deterrent. So, I kept quiet until everyone — all seven of us — had eaten some. And guess what? I wasn’t the only one to enjoy it. So there.
Maybe sometimes it’s okay to be a little deceptive in the name of trying new things. What do you think?
- 1 bunch mustard greens, , washed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch beet greens, , washed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium beet, , quartered and sliced (or 6-8 baby beets, quartered)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, , halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 4- inch segment fresh rosemary, (remove the leaves and finely mince)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, , crushed
- Salt and pepper, , to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine the mustard greens, beet greens, beets, tomatoes and feta. Toss. Add Herb Vinaigrette, to taste, and toss again.
- Serve immediately -- this is great with grilled chicken or shrimp.
To make the Herb Vinaigrette:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until well-combined.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.