- Basil – Creamy Gorgonzola and Shrimp Pasta
- Mustard Greens – Mustard Greens and Beet Greens Salad with Herb Vinaigrette
- Squash – Grilled Sausage and Summer Squash with Herbs, Capers, Kalamata Olives and Lemon @ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Napa Cabbage – Guy Fieri’s Waka Waka Salad @ Sweetnicks
- Peaches – Grilled Peaches @ Cheap Healthy Good
- Corn – Mexican Grilled Corn @Food Blogga
- 1 bunch Russian kale, rinsed and dried
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large vidalia onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 medium beet, quartered and sliced (or 6-8 small beats quartered)
- 2 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Tear the kale into pieces, removing any bits of rigid stem (discard those). Toss the kale with the salt and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil and butter in a medium skillet. Warm over medium heat until the butter is fully melted, then raise the heat to high. Add the vidalia onions and cook for 10 minutes, until just starting to brown. Reduce heat to low. Lightly salt the onions and then simmer for 30-50 minutes, until browned, soft and super sweet. (Time will vary depending on side of onions and type of pan used.)
- Rinse the kale in a salad spinning device and spin dry.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the kale, caramelized onions, beets, remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper, to taste. Toss well.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 781mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 15g Protein: 3g
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.