- 1/2 loaf day-old Italian bread
- 3 ears sweet corn, steamed or boiled
- 1 1/2 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped purple basil, aka opal basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Tear the bread into bite-size chunks. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, stirring once about half way through.
- Meanwhile, use a knife to cut the kernels from the ears of corn. (Hold the corn vertically on a cutting board and cut down so that the kernels fall onto the board.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the kernels of corn, tomato, cucumber and basil. Stir well. Then, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the corn mixture. Stir well to combine. Add the bread to the bowl and stir well. Let sit 10 minutes, then stir again.
- Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and serve.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.