This salad is a cool, refreshing and easy dish to throw together — which couldn’t be more perfect for days like today (and tomorrow and Saturday), when the temperature soars well into the 90s or higher, with humidity to make it all the worse.
Preparing it is as simple as rinsing and chopping three veggies … and then tossing it all together with vinaigrette. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before you serve it. That lets the vinaigrette really soak into the cabbage.
The best thing about this salad? Leftovers can be saved. Yes, with the dressing. Cabbage stands up better to the vinaigrette than lettuce does, so it won’t get wimpy if you tuck some into a container and save it for tomorrow. Heck, it kind of gets better with age. Like a fine wine or good cheese. Sort of.
Anyway, if you are looking for an easy, low-prep recipe, this is perfect.
How do you serve napa cabbage?
- 1 head Napa cabbage, washed and cut into thin ribbons
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 sweet bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots and bell peppers. Toss well. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and toss to combine.
- Allow the salad to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.