This dish is uncomplicated. It’s simple — just a few basic ingredients prepared without fuss. It’s a dish that proves that good food doesn’t require a lot of steps, ingredients or time.
Really, it doesn’t. Food can be amazing just by preparing it in a different way than you are used to. Tired of boiled? Try steamed. Tired of raw? Try sauteed. Or roast!
Roasting is a perfect way to switch up your vegetable routine without getting fussy.
This dish has a naturally sweet flavor with ribbons of savory and salty running through it. Roasting each of these vegetables alone — butternut squash, Brussels sprouts and onions — draws out an inherent sweetness.
But roast them together — and with the magical ingredients of olive oil, salt and pepper — and they become this trifecta of sweet-savory goodness. This is the dish you make when you want to have an uncomplicated comforting dinner.
Serve this over brown rice, which brings a light nuttiness to the flavor as well.
- 2 cups diced butternut squash, about 3/4-inch dice
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 white onion, peeled, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with either nonstick aluminum foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the squash, Brussels sprouts, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the squash is tender and the sprouts are lightly browned.
- To serve: This makes a great side dish. It's also perfect served over rice as a main dish. Sprinkle with finishing salt just before serving.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.