I feel like I am living in a Katy Perry song. Seriously. Last week it was hot — a steamy 96 degrees a week ago — and this week it’s so cold that we’re bundling up with sweatshirts and our fuzzy blankets. You know, the ones we put away weeks ago. And before we know it, there will be fireworks (actually, my neighbor set some off over the weekend, so there you have it …). Truly, life imitating art or something.
Enough with the pop culture references, though. Let’s talk about this salad.
Though the whole Caron household likes salad, we haven’t been eating enough of it lately. It just hasn’t been making an appearance on the table … but I am so ready to change that and a vibrant salad like this can totally do it.
This salad starts with a bed of baby romaine lettuce. If you want to use big romaine torn into little pieces, that’s fine too. No biggie. Then it’s topped with berries — sliced strawberries and fresh blueberries, to be precise. It is summer, after all. Then there’s the gorgonzola crumbles in all their sharp glory sprinkled all over. And crunchy croutons. And that salty prosciutto that’s been quickly pan-fried to a crisp. Drizzle on your favorite vinaigrette and there you have it.
- 2 cups baby romaine lettuce
- 2 ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 2 tbsp crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- handful croutons
- 2 ultra-thin slices prosciutto
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinaigrette, to taste
- Arrange the lettuce in a bowl. Sprinkle with strawberries, blueberries, gorgonzola and croutons.
- Set a skillet over medium high heat. Warm the pan thoroughly. Add the prosciutto and cook until crispy, filling once. Place on the salad (you can crumble it on, if desired).
- Drizzle with red wine vinaigrette. Enjoy.