Friday night in our house is Family Movie Night. It’s a family tradition that started in the dark days of winter a few years ago when I felt like work was encroaching too much on life. So I decided to do something about it … and one Friday, I announced it was Family Movie Night, whipped up a big bowl of popcorn and cuddled on the couch with the kids watching a movie. We’ve been doing it nearly every Friday (well, at least during the school year) ever since.
What I love most about our Family Movie Nights is that it encourages us to stop and just be for a little. We all need that downtime to connect, I think.
Besides our movie (tonight is Cinderella!), we also eat during the movie as well. Sometimes I still pop up popcorn, but these days we often have dinner too. One thing I have learned since we started this though is that fast and easy dinners are the perfect choice for our Friday night celebrations. Anything else takes me away from the movie — and the relaxing time I have with the kids.
Flatbread pizzas? They are the ultimate in fast, easy Family Movie Night dinners since they use already cooked flatbreads and take less than 10 minutes to cook. One of my personal favorites is Two Cheese Steak Flatbread Pizza with Swiss Chard Chimichurri. It has it all — creamy cheese, meaty steak and a tangy chimichurri sauce that gives it that wow factor.
Of course, the cool thing about making individual flatbread pizzas is that everyone can customize the recipe to their liking too, so there’s that option too. But why would anyone want something other than this?
Does your family have any special movie night traditions?
- 4 Flatout Thin Crust Flatbreads in Rustic White
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 lb cooked and thinly sliced steak
- 2 oz thinly sliced Jarlsberg deli cheese, (8 very thin slices)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Swiss Chard Chimichurri Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the flatbreads on a baking sheet in a single layer (use more than one baking sheet, if necessary). Bake for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the flatbreads with mozzarella and then thinly sliced steak. Top each with 1/2 oz (2 very thin slices) of Jarlsberg cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 3-4 minutes until just golden at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with Swiss Chard Chimichurri Sauce.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the flatbread pizza into pieces. Devour.
Disclosure: I was compensated for creating this recipe by Flatout and The Motherhood. All opinions are, as always, my own.