This post is for all the chocolate-loving, cake-craving, sweet tooth having food lovers out there. And this recipe? It’s for those afternoons when all you need is a quick chocolate fix but don’t want or need a whole cake (or a batch of cupcakes). It makes one perfect, moist, molten Nutella filled cake just for you.
You are so welcome.
What I love about this recipe is that not only is it super fast (you can make this in about five minutes – start to finish), but it’s made with pantry items that you probably have on hand already. And the flavor — rich, chocolatey bliss — is just perfect. The cake is lightly sweetened (just enough to enhance the chocolate flavor). And in the center is warm, gooey, molten Nutella.
Look, there are times when you just need that little sweet fix (or, at least I do!). When it strikes, pull out a mug or a ramekin and whip this up. It totally answers that craving and leaves you satisfied with a perfectly portioned treat.
Do you have a sweet tooth?
Quickie Molten Chocolate Cake For One
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar, (coconut sugar works great too)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp nonfat milk
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 tbsp Nutella
- powdered sugar, (for dusting)
- You will need either a ramekin or a standard size mug for this recipe.
- In the ramekin or mug, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until well mixed. Add the milk and canola oil, stirring well until smooth. Be sure to scrape the edges as you stir to ensure that no flour mixture gets trapped below the batter.
- Drop the Nutella into the batter and spoon batter over to cover.
- Microwave for 1 minute. Let sit for 2-3 minutes. Then dust with powdered sugar.
Note: Recipe adapted heavily from Made from Scratch.
Sunday 31st of January 2016
This is so yummy! I substitute the oil for honey and the sugar for stevia.
Recently I tried substituting the flour for almond meal. It tasted delicious but bubbled over and made a huge mess! Anyone have success with subbing the flour for almond meal or coconut flour?
Chocolate Raspberry Mug Cake - The Kitchenthusiast
Wednesday 25th of June 2014
[…] Quick Molten Chocolate Cake For One […]
Thursday 25th of October 2012
Just one for my boyfriend and one for me. I didn't have Nutella on hand so I used Pillsbury's new dark chocolate indulgence cream cheese. Wow! So hit e spot. Thank you.
Wednesday 24th of October 2012
Turned out great! I made a few changes: I used nonfat vanilla yogurt instead of the oil. I left out the sugar but added about 2 tbsps of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Yum! Thanks so much
Thursday 18th of October 2012
This is perfect for those nights when you just need something sweet to end on.