- 1 lb thin-cut chicken breasts
- 1 egg, , beaten well
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, , divided
- 9 oz package sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper, , to taste
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place a baking rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken breasts. Dip each alternatively in egg and then breadcrumbs, turning to fully coat. Place on the rack.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet. Add the mushrooms and salt lightly. Cook, stirring lightly, until the mushrooms are browned and tinged with golden spots -- about 10 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, until bubbly and smooth. Whisk in the milk. Continue cooking, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened. Whisk in the cheeses until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve: Top each chicken breast with mushrooms and cheese sauce. Serve with a biscuit each, as desired.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.