You know what? This chicken is seriously good. Every bite is a creamy, crispy, earthy, rich delight. I mean, this is the kind of dish that renders the dinner table silent as you all dig in and enjoy. It’s just that delicious.
It’s pretty easy to make too. You cook the chicken on a rack, which lets it bake up with a crisp outside without getting soggy on the bottom (as happens with baked breaded chicken sometimes).
While it’s cooking, you brown some mushrooms and whip up a creamy cheese sauce. It’s about 40 minutes total — and about 30 minutes of hands on cooking. Not bad for something that will have your family practically licking the plate clean, eh?
This is totally the kind of thing you would try at a restaurant and then tell all your friends about. (Psst! You should totally tell them about it anyway. Just sayin’.) But it’s better — and it won’t set you back a car payment or two (seriously, is it just me or are restaurant prices through the roof these days?).
Biscuits are the perfect side for this — you can even sop up the cheese sauce with it. Mmm. Store bought are fine, or make your own such as Buttery, Fluffy Baking Powder Biscuits, Ultimate Cheddar Biscuits or Whole Wheat Biscuits.
- 1 lb thin-cut chicken breasts
- 1 egg, , beaten well
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, , divided
- 9 oz package sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper, , to taste
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place a baking rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken breasts. Dip each alternatively in egg and then breadcrumbs, turning to fully coat. Place on the rack.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet. Add the mushrooms and salt lightly. Cook, stirring lightly, until the mushrooms are browned and tinged with golden spots -- about 10 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, until bubbly and smooth. Whisk in the milk. Continue cooking, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened. Whisk in the cheeses until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve: Top each chicken breast with mushrooms and cheese sauce. Serve with a biscuit each, as desired.