There’s something about a warm, toasty, stuffed quesadilla that just says comfort. With all the melty cheese, the crisp outside and … well, whatever you stuff in it. It’s a definite favorite of mine. And I especially appreciate how simple, fast and easy quesadillas are — even when you get a little fancy with the fillings.
And sometimes, biting into comfort food is a little like taking a deep breath. It’s refreshing and calming all at once — both good things that we all need a little more of.
These Veggie Overload Quesadillas are literally stuffed with sautéed veggies — lots of them. It’s a good thing.
To make these, you start by sautéing a bunch of veggies together until they are crisp-tender. Then you slather butter all over the tortilla and stuff it with cheddar and those delicious veggies — and avocado too. Then you cook it until it’s all golden on the outside with warm melty goodness on the inside. That avocado? It adds such an amazing note of creaminess too.
Then you devour it. With salsa, hopefully.
One more little note. I used Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil for this and discovered how amazing it can be for dishes like this. It’s made with three simple ingredients (sweet cream, canola oil and salt) and comes out of the fridge ready to spread — which means that there’s no waiting to spread it all over the tortillas or any threat of ripping them up when you spread the butter on. That kind of rocks. Really. I think I might be a little in love with the ease of this spread — especially since it still tastes like butter.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped snow peas
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen whole leaf spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil
- 1 cup Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in the snow peas, Brussels sprouts, shallot and spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are crisp-tender – about five minutes.
- Remove from the stove and stir together the sautéed veggies and the avocado in a bowl.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spread each tortilla with 1/2 tablespoon of Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil. Lay in the pan and top half of the tortilla with 1/4 cup cheddar, 1/4 of the vegetable mixture and 1/4 cup cheddar (in that order). Fold the tortilla over the toppings and cook, flipping once, until golden on both sides (about 8-10 minutes, total). Repeat with remaining ingredients until all have been used.
- Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.
- Serve with a good spicy salsa for dipping. - If desired, you can add one chopped jalapeno to the sautéed vegetable mixture to give this a very zesty twist.
Disclosure: This recipe was sponsored by Land O’Lakes via Platefull. All opinions are (as always) my own.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.