I created this Spicy Taco Meatballs with Cheddar Mashed Potatoes and Avocado recipe for my client Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.
It’s been so chilly the past few nights that I’ve closed our windows. The kids have both asked to have their blankets added back to their beds. And finding my winter clothes became a top priority. All of that signals a change in how we eat too. The light salads and tender grilled dinners are giving way to heartier fare. There’s nothing like a warm meal to end the day on a happier note.
This recipe? It’s hearty, but also a quick and easy recipe.
Spicy Taco Meatballs with Cheddar Mashed Potatoes and Avocado may be an unexpected combination, but it’s also totally awesome. This is like the hip older cousin of Taco Night. You’ll recognize the flavors, but they are brought together in a new and exciting way. Fun, right?
Spicy Taco Meatballs are tender balls of taco goodness that bridge favorite childhood meals. The creamy cheddar mashed potatoes and cool, smooth avocado are a delicious contrast to the meatballs. And the salsa? It finishes the dish perfectly.
Also cool? This is one of those all in one recipes — just make it and dinner’s ready. No need to figure out what else to make (though a salad would be a nice addition). Who doesn’t love a quick and easy recipe?
Spicy Taco Meatballs with Cheddar Mashed Potatoes and Avocado
Love tacos? Then you’ll adore these taco-flavored meatballs with creamy cheddar mashed potatoes. I created this recipe for my client Old El Paso -- all opinions are my own.
- 1 1/4 lbs ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 package Old El Paso Hot and Spicy Taco Seasoning
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes, about 1 lb, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Old El Paso Salsa
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs and taco seasoning. Form into 1-inch meatballs and arrange in a rectangular glass baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping once, until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring a salted pot of water to a boil on the stove. Add the potatoes to the pot and boil for 15-20 minutes, until soft. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes back to the pot and mash. Add the cheddar cheese and stir well to combine. Stir in the milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the potatoes, meatballs and avocado evenly among four plates. Top the mashed potatoes with salsa. Enjoy!
Want to speed this up? Premade cheddar mashed potatoes can be used in place of these homemade ones. For less spicy meatballs, use regular taco seasoning.
Disclosure: I was compensated for creating this recipe but all opinions are my own.
Sunday 22nd of September 2013
I am trying these tonight!
Thursday 19th of September 2013
I've already added this to next week's menu!