- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into a 1-inch dice
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup quartered new potatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 14.5- oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Uncle Ben's® Instant Rice
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined cooked shrimp*
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the chicken, carrots, potatoes, onion, tomatoes (with juice!), broth, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, garlic and salt. Stir well.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to low heat. Cook for 5 hours.
- Increase the slow cooker heat to high and stir in the rice and bell pepper. Cover again and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Most of the liquid should also be absorbed.
- Stir the shrimp into the slow cooker.
- Serve immediately.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.