- 1/4 lb Jones Family Farm Cherrywood Smoked Bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped baby beet greens, including stems
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, dash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until just browned. Remove from the skillet to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the rendered bacon fat. Add the beet greens, onions and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent – about 10 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and stir together with the bacon.
- Place the pie crust on a baking sheet and spread the bacon mixture in the bottom. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the center is set. Cool for five minutes before slicing and serving.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.