This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EggoBTSTarget #CollectiveBias
Turn up the flavor on your children’s school breakfast with this Easy Honeyed Blueberry Nut Sauce. It’s perfect for enjoying on waffles.
Where did summer go?
That question has been on my mind recently. It seems that in a blink the kids were down with their eight weeks of summer camp for this year. And in a flash, we were digging through bins of pencils and markers, selecting the school supplies they’ll need for the quickly approaching school year.
But summer vacation’s not over yet. So we’ve been cramming as much summer fun as we can in while it’s still here. Trips to visit family and friends. Day-long excursions to the beach and to fun conventions. A planetarium show. A music festival. Sure, this will end soon, but our fun will continue to the very last moment.
Still, it is time to start looking ahead. The new backpacks are packed with school supplies. The first day of school clothes are waiting to be worn. And I am thinking ahead to mornings, which will be a little different this year as Will and Paige take different buses at different times.
4 Things to Know about Breakfasts Before School
- Simple is Good — When my kids were younger, I tried to make more complicated breakfasts before school. But the added time and stress wasn’t good for our mornings. So now, I go simpler with quick, easy meal solutions. We have cereals, breakfast bars and freezer staples like Eggo waffles. Sometimes, there are hard-cooked eggs too. And the kids have to have fruit and dairy with their breakfast every day.
- Simple Can Get Dressed Up — One of my favorite ways to make breakfasts before school special is to fancy them up — think an easy fruit sauce over Eggo waffles or a special toast topped with avocado and egg. These breakfast upgrades take mere minutes but make the dishes so much more exciting.
- Speed is Important — On a schedule? Then choosing a breakfast appropriate for the time you have is key. Opt for the easiest (breakfast bar, fruit and glass of milk) on the busiest of mornings. Dig into fun dressed up breakfasts when you have more time to spare.
- Now’s the Time to Stock Up — A stocked cupboard, fridge and freezer will help ensure stress-free mornings. So stock up on all your easy meal solutions now. I love Target for this, since they have a great selection. Better yet, if you’re stocking up on Eggo’s you can also save on Crayola products, perfect for back to school. If you buy three participating Eggo products with Crayola packaging between now and September 30, you can get $5 off of Crayola products.
Dressing Up Frozen Waffles
As a single mom who works both as a freelance writer and as a full time newspaper editor, weekday mornings are always tightly scheduled. I have two kids to get off to school, myself to get ready and off to work, and whatever other to-dos fall on my list before leaving the house. But I still want my kids to eat a good breakfast every morning. It’s important to their brains, giving them the energy and brainpower to learn lots at school.
All of this is to say that I take some shortcuts to good breakfasts. For instance, I just can’t make homemade waffles on a weekday morning. But I can toast some Eggo waffles and serve them with a decadent, easy and quick Easy Honeyed Blueberry Nut Sauce. This sauce is seriously simple — just three ingredients and ready in minutes. Toss the waffles in the toast and the sauce ingredients in the pan and it’s practically ready.
Whipped cream optional.
Easy Honeyed Blueberry Nut Sauce for Waffles
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- Combine the blueberries, honey and pecans in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until the berries burst.
- Remove from heat and spoon over waffles.
One more thing! Be sure to check out the free downloadable activity booklet available on Target.com/Crayola (bottom right of the page “Coloring Fun” box with the link “download coloring pages).
Also, you can connect with Eggo online, on Pinterest, Twitter and on Facebook.
Saturday 16th of July 2022
I love that this sauce uses just a Tablespoon of honey! Blueberries with nuts and a bit of honey is a nice gooey, not too sweet topping.
Saturday 1st of October 2016
Yum! What a decadent breakfast idea! They don’t even need syrup.
Sarah Walker Caron
Sunday 2nd of October 2016
Yep! That's the point -- this is an alternative to syrup. Thanks for commenting!
Tuesday 30th of August 2016
easy is always good for busy mornings, and my gang LOVES eggo. I bet this sauce would just put them over the top
Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
Tuesday 30th of August 2016
As a single mom myself, I couldn't agree more - breakfast has to be super speedy and simple - and heck yeah to a decadent dress up blueberry sauce!