Note: I have received information and materials from JOHNSON & JOHNSON CONSUMER, Inc., McNeil Nutritionals, LLC Subsidiary the makers of LACTAID®. The opinions stated are my own. This is a sponsored post.
If there was a way I could think my coffee order in the morning, and have it delivered bedside without moving a muscle, I probably would. My morning coffee is important to my day. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve found that the late nights working that were the cornerstone of my business life as a late 20-something and early 30-something just don’t work for me anymore. By the time my kids get in bed, I am ready for a complete mental break.
So, instead, I rise early. My alarms start going off just after 5 am, though sometimes it takes awhile for me to get up. Nonetheless, that’s my most productive time of the day. It’s when I am mentally sharpest, ready to write and soothed by the silence of my house. As long as I have my coffee first, of course.
Did you know that Sept. 29 is National Coffee Day? As a coffee lover, I encourage you to savor your coffee in honor of this occasion. Sip it a little longer. If you use special beans, slurp your cup of joe to get the full impact of the flavors on your tongue. Seriously — that works. When you slurp, more tastebuds get involved in the tasting of whatever it is you’re drinking.
Just don’t use that as a reason to slurp all the time. I mean seriously. Keep that for your private morning coffee time or something so your coworkers don’t think you’ve jumped on a one-way-ship to worst-coworker-ever-land.
My Favorite 30 Second Coffee Hack
Often, my morning coffee is just dark roast served with my favorite creamer. But some mornings, I want to treat myself. And on those morning, I have a fun coffee hack that makes my morning coffee all the better.
- 1/4 cup LACTAID® Brand Reduced Fat Milk
- 10 oz brewed dark roast coffee
- 1 tbsp caramel syrup
- Heat the milk to steaming in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- In a mug, combine the coffee, milk and caramel syrup. Stir well, until the syrup dissolves.
- OPTIONAL: Finish this with a dollop of lactose-free whipped cream, and an addition drizzle of caramel.
That’s it: heated milk and a little caramel transform my basic morning coffee into a morning treat that I absolutely adore. It’s sweet and creamy and filled with flavor I love.
This recipe is made with LACTAID® Milk, which is real milk, just without the dairy, so those who are dairy sensitive can enjoy without a second thought.
4 More Ways to Hack Your Morning Coffee
- Use dark chocolate hot fudge instead of caramel to swirl into my recipe above.
- After adding your usual milk, stir in a tablespoon of hot cocoa mix for an instant mocha.
- Sprinkle your regular old morning coffee with cinnamon, nutmeg and/or ginger for a spiced experience.
- Freeze coffee in cube form. Then, after brewing your coffee, stir in cold milk, sweetener (if desired) and a few of those cubes — instant iced coffee that isn’t watered down. Score!
For 2016, I’ve partnered with LACTAID® Brand as a brand ambassador to spread the word about their line of lactose-free dairy products, including milk, ice cream and cottage cheese. You might remember the sundae I shared over the summer and the milkshake last spring — both lactose-free! The brand has also launched a No More #DairyEnvy campaign that’s committed to helping those with dairy sensitivity savor dairy with the milk that doesn’t mess with you. .
In their commitment to ending #DairyEnvy, this National Coffee Day, LACTAID® Brand partnered with Milk Bar, Christina Tosi and celebrity chef Marcela Valladolid to create exclusive coffee recipes made with LACTAID® Milk, such as Milk Bar’s Coffee Milk, Marcela Valladolid’s Iced Horchata Latte, Mexican Arroz con Leche and Mexican Mocha all made with LACTAID® Milk.
Do you have a favorite coffee hack that turns your morning joe from good to awesome? Share!