This sweet Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake features an airy banana cake dotted with sweet wild blueberries and topped with a buttery sugar-cinnamon topping. A delight.
This is it. The wind-down of summer. In one week and two days, school will be in session again. So will dance school for my daughter, and a hefty meet schedule for my son’s cross country season.
This week, there’s high school orientation for Will — a half-day affair where he has to turn in his summer work and meet teachers. There’s open house for my daughter, where she’ll find out her class schedule and meet her teachers. And there’s a sports meeting for me, the parent.
Of course, Will’s team has been practicing for most of the summer and will continue to do so this week — including having a pretty awesome day of trail running at Acadia National Park. And Paige still has to finish her summer work (she’s down to the copy neatly for a final hand-in-ready copy stage, fortunately.
In some ways, we’re already there.
But after this week, things will get busier. Much busier. Pay attention to the calendar busier.
And that means it’s time to get on the ball about meal prep and planning for all the meals of the day. That’s where recipes like this Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake come in. Having a ready-made breakfast like this means that morning meal is simplified. It can be had quickly. That’s a good thing.
How to Make Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake
This coffee cake is made in a 9-inch baking pan and served in wedges.
Start by making the batter. Once it’s all mixed up, pat it gently into your greased baking pan.
Then sprinkle it all over with the cinnamon-sugar topping.
Then bake it to golden perfection. Now, it’s ready to be enjoyed immediately or saved for later. Store this covered (I usually keep it on a plate in my cake container) and slice wedges as needed.
What a treat to start the day with a wedge of this coffee cake! Serve it with fresh fruit on the side.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round baking pan with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it forms coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk until light and frothy. Whisk in the mashed banana. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, and stir to combine. Add the blueberries and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and pat into a single layer. The dough will be slightly stiff. Brush with the melted butter for the topping, pouring over any excess.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the coffee cake all over.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out cleanly. Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan before transferring to a serving dish, slicing into wedges and enjoying.