Sweet strawberry puree, crisp pinot grigio and tangy citrus combine in this quick and easy Summer Sangria recipe — perfect for relaxing with on a warm day.
An old friend and I check in with each other regularly on Facebook. In a different time, we used to meet up, get drinks and catch up, laughing together for hours. But now, separated by distance and unable to spend time together even if we weren’t, we settle for quick check-ins.
We were barely teenagers when we met. I wasn’t sure we had anything in common, but we found shared interests in music and our worldview. We’ve remained friends throughout the years — and the many relationships, moves, breakups, crazy ideas, and big dreams.
I am so grateful to have a friendship like this — with a friend who can convey a whole lot of caring in a simple question.
This is a hard time. It’s hard for everyone. We miss our every day, our usual lives. We miss our families and friends. We miss the promise that spring and summer held before everything changed.
In a different time, this Summer Sangria is a drink perfect for sharing with friends and family on a warm spring or summer day. Someday that will be true again.
But you needn’t wait until then to try this. Enjoy it while you catch up on a video call. Or just make a pitcher and share it with whomever (of age) you live with.
Just make it. This Summer Sangria is a refreshing blend of strawberry puree and white wine with a variety of citrus fruits tossed in, giving it nuanced hints of tartness and tanginess.
But the best part is that this requires very little effort to make. Puree. Combine. Stir. Okay, there’s a little chopping thrown in there too, but that’s minor.
- 4 cups strawberries, divided
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 750-mL bottle pinot grigio, chilled
- 1 orange, ends removed and sliced
- 1 lime, ends removed and sliced
- ice, to taste (if desired)
- Combine 2 cups strawberries with the sugar in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a pitcher. Pour in the pinot grigio, and stir to combine.
- Quarter the remaining strawberries. Add to the pitcher along with the orange slices and lime slices. Stir well to combine.
- Add ice, if desired. Serve immediately.