Forget the flavor packet, transform your ramen noodles into a scrumptious salad with this recipe for Lemony Steak and Veggie Ramen Noodle Salad.
Months ago, when the world was shifting and a need to change how we interact with the world became clear, I started stocking up on foods that could carry us for weeks without grocery shopping. Our freezers were filled, our pantry stocked and our baking ingredients secured.
Among those items was ramen noodles, which surprised my kids at first. We don’t typically keep ramen noodles handy. But the packets are an easy avenue to creative lunches.
Since then, I’ve taught my kids how to make fancy ramen noodles. They’ve discovered some things they love to add like arugula, soft-boiled eggs and sauteed mushrooms.
But fancied up soup isn’t the only way to love ramen.
The cooked noodles are also a wonderful addition to flavorful salads like this recipe for Lemony Steak and Veggie Ramen Noodle Salad.
This veggie-forward salad is dotted with bits of steak and ramen noodles and then dressed with a tangy combination of lemon juice and olive oil. It’s all about balance — in the flavors, textures and combination of warm and cool foods.
One note on this: This ramen noodle salad recipe is very flexible.
If you can’t find the specific size ramen noodle package mentioned in the recipe, use what you can find. The salad may have a bit more noodles, but it will be delightful anyway.
If you aren’t fond of one of the veggies called for, omit it and replace it with another you do like.
Consider this more of a guideline recipe than a blueprint.
What have you been making for lunches lately?
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced and quartered
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 ear corn, cooked
- ⅓ lb steak, cooked and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1.8 oz package ramen noodles, prepared (noodles only)
- In a large bowl, add the cucumber, green peppers, tomatoes and shallot. Cut the kernels from the corn cob and add to the bowl (discard cob). Stir well to combine.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Add the steak slices and cooked ramen noodles and toss again.
- Let sit for five minutes, then toss again. Serve immediately or chill until ready to enjoy.