Give fresh cabbage a new spin with this creative, flavorful Roasted Cabbage with Smoked Salmon recipe. It makes a great lunch.
My children love cabbage like I do — with a ferocity.
That’s one of the reasons it’s appeared in our garden so many times. And while we didn’t plant any this year, we will definitely be buying some to enjoy when our local farmers have it available.
Boiled, sauteed, steamed, there are so many ways to enjoy it. Among the more unusual (and unexpectedly pleasurable): Roasted.
I’ve written about roasted cabbage before in this space. I discovered the technique in a blog post on Kalyn’s Kitchen years ago, and have used it in multiple ways since. It can be an appetizer or a side dish. Or, with the right accouterments, it can take center stage as it does in this dish.
To make this, you start with a head of fresh cabbage. Perhaps you are even growing some in your garden, as we have in the past. It adds a little extra specialness to it when you’ve grown your own.
Remove the core and cut the cabbage into wedges. Or cut the cabbage into wedges and remove the core. Either way works. You just don’t want that core there — it won’t soften or cook like the tender leaves.
Now comes the part that separates this cabbage from just any cabbage: the seasoning. You brush it with a lemony dressing, which will permeate the cabbage all over as it cooks. It’s easy to mix up and makes this dish absolutely delightful.
Then roast those cabbage wedges in the oven. They’ll get browned and crisp at the wedges and tender in the middle. It’s delightful.
Once you pull the cabbage from the oven, drape some smoked salmon on it. Then eat them together — a little flavorful cabbage, a little smoky, salty salmon. Delightful.
This is how a simple cabbage dish becomes a meal built for lunchtime. It’s the combination of flavors, textures and even temperatures that makes it so divine.
And in the end, the cabbage wedges have a pleasant, citrus flavor that pairs well with the salty smoked salmon. Enjoy!
- 1 head cabbage, core removed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the cabbage into 8 wedges. Place on a greased baking sheet. Whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. Brush over the tops of the cabbage wedges. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Flip the cabbage wedges and brush with remaining lemon juice mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and divide onto 4 plates.
- Top with smoked salmon, divided evenly among the plates. Enjoy.