Glazed with the rich, slightly sweet sauce, these Hoisin Beef Skewers are delightful with the cool, tangy Gingery Red Cabbage Slaw.
Every day, I walk. Down the street, through the neighborhoods, around the parks, I walk. I listen to audiobooks along the way, falling into stories and other worlds. I also take the time to unwind, which feels so very good.
What do you do to help yourself destress, unwind or otherwise have a more peaceful day?
Easy recipes — ones that can help you get dinner on the table in about 30 minutes — can do that. And when those easy recipes are also super flavorful? It’s a total win-win.
You’re in luck: this recipe is all that.
This recipe for Hoisin Beef Skewers with Gingery Red Cabbage Slaw creates a fantastic meal. Steak cubes are threaded on skewers and brush with a rich, slightly sweet sauce and then cooked to perfection under the oven broiler.
Of course, you could also grill them if you wanted.
Once they are cooked, serve them with the quick and easy cool, tangy slaw. They are delightful together — warm and cool, meaty and fresh. A perfect pairing!
I love to serve this dish with rice or glass noodles. But you could also serve them with your favorite pasta, grilled potatoes or a massive tossed salad.
You can find this recipe in the Dessert section of my newest cookbook, Easy Frugal Cookbook. You’ll love this book full of 100 recipes with 10 ingredients or less created with budgets in mind.
Easy Frugal Cookbook will be released by Rockridge Press on July 7, but you can preorder your copy now. And friends, preordering helps so much because it signals to the internet gods that people are interested in this book — leading to even more orders. So I super appreciate everyone who does so.
For the Skewers:
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
For the Slaw:
- 4 cups thinly shredded red cabbage
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven broiler, and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Thread the steak onto four skewers, dividing it evenly among them. Place on the baking sheet.
- Whisk together the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and garlic. Brush with skewers with the sauce.
- Broil for 13-15 minutes, flipping once about halfway through. When you flip the skewers, brush them with more sauce. When done, remove them from the oven and brush with the remaining sauce.
- While the skewers are cooking, combine the cabbage with rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl. Toss well to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes and then toss again.
- Divide the slaw evenly among four plates. Top with a hoisin beef skewer.
Budget Trick: When sirloin steak goes on sale, it’s a good time to stock up. It can be frozen for between 4 and 12 months, depending on how well it’s sealed. But if it’s not on sale, you can use tri-tip or skirt steak instead.