Fresh, easy and robust with flavor, this Honey Barbecue Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken recipe will delight your taste buds.
There’s going to come a day again where my kids are up before dawn, bustling around their rooms and coming downstairs to pack lunches, grab a quick breakfast and scoot out the door. There’s going to come a day again when I rush from the house too, headed downtown for meetings and appointments. There will come a day again when our nightly dinners will require a lot of planning.
We’re not there yet. But that day will come.
And when it does, I’ll be ready for the change.
Dishes like this — Honey Barbecue Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken — are perfect for busy days. It takes only about 10 minutes to pull this recipe all together in the morning so that it can be ready in the evening.
Then it slow cooks all day to flavorful perfection. When you return, you only need to make a side dish and pull the chicken with two forks and it’s ready to enjoy.
You probably already have most of the ingredients on hand — chicken breasts, tomato paste, onion, peppers, honey, soy sauce, ginger and garlic, for example. Salt and pepper too.
The veggies get chopped and tossed in the slow cooker. The chicken goes on top. Then you whip up the sauce and pour it over.
Set that slow cooker to low and let it do its thing.
When you return after work, school or whatever, the meal — including veggies — is cooked. You just need to finish it up by pulling the chicken (use two forks! It’s easy) and preparing a side dish.
Ready to dig in?
This is shown on hamburger buns here, but it’s also lovely on hoagie rolls with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and some lettuce and tomato. Or top it with coleslaw, if you are feeling extra adventurous.
- 1 sweet onion, , quartered and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, , seeds removed and discarded, sliced thin
- 1 yellow sweet bell pepper, , seeds removed and discarded, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 6- oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, , minced
- salt and pepper, , to taste
- Arrange the onions, green bell peppers and yellow sweet bell peppers in the bottom of a slow cooker -- I use a 4 qt. slow cooker for this, and recommend using that size.
- Place the chicken breasts (raw) on the vegetables.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over the chicken, taking care to cover the breasts completely.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, until the chicken is fall apart tender. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a plate, and the vegetables to a bowl, taking care to leave as much sauce behind as possible. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Return chicken to the slow cooker and toss with the sauce.
- Serve over rice, quinoa or other grains. Or create sandwiches with this shredded chicken.