Leftover asparagus is excellent for a savory breakfast or lunch in this easy Asparagus Quiche recipe with Swiss cheese.
When I was a tween, my friend’s mom introduced me to the magical flavor combination of asparagus and Swiss cheese via an unforgettable omelet. Years later, I still love the two ingredients together — adding both to scrambled eggs, salads and, yes, omelets.
But leftover roasted asparagus can be used in so many ways — including to make this delightful quiche recipe.
Quiche is a savory tart that features a pie crust, an airy egg center and whatever combination of mix-ins you desire. It can be made in so many flavor combinations. And it’s incredibly simple to make — a layering of ingredients in a pie crust and a whisking and pouring of egg mixture.
For this Asparagus Quiche recipe, I added shallots, shredded Swiss cheese and chopped asparagus to the uncooked store-bought pie crust. If you prefer to make your own pie crust, that works perfectly too.
Then I whisked together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and a touch of nutmeg. That gets poured into the pie crust as well. Make sure it’s evenly distributed so it cooks into a lovely pie that’s easily sliced. The quiche bakes in the oven for about 40 minutes, until it’s set and lightly browned. Let it cool just a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Leftovers are delightful reheated in the oven or microwave. In the oven, reheat the whole pie or just a slice for about 5-6 minutes at 350 degrees. In the microwave, heat a slice for one minute to 90 seconds.
This recipe makes a wonderful breakfast or a satisfying lunch, hot from the oven. Serve it alongside something fresh like a fruit salad or a green salad. For drinks, orange juice (or mimosas!) goes really well with this quiche too.
- 1 pie crust (such as one from a box of two refrigerated crusts)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped roasted asparagus
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a pie dish on a baking sheet. Fit the pie crust into the pie dish, pressing and folding over the edges.
- Spread shallots in the bottom of the pie crust evenly and then top with chopped asparagus and shredded Swiss cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour into the pie crust, evenly distributing it.
- Slide the baking sheet with the quiche into the oven. Cook for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.