Last year, while trolling a local farmers market, I discovered some curly green shoots that were unlike anything I had ever seen. Vibrantly green and mostly firm, save a slight grassy portion at the top, I took a few garlic scapes home and cooked with them … and promptly fell in love.
What were they strange, unfamiliar things? Garlic scapes. But since garlic scapes have a sadly short season (they are, after all, the flowerings shoots that come off of young, immature garlic and are cut off on purpose), I didn’t get a chance to have them again last year.
So, I waited. And waited. And waited. And when the farmers market that I used to go to didn’t open earlier this month (it seems that a lack of popularity has shuttered the hit or miss event), I though I had missed another round of my delicious garlic scapes discovery all together.
But I didn’t.
Last week, when Will and I hit the farmers market in the pouring rain, the first thing I spotted as we snuck in between two booths was … bunches of garlic scapes. Of course, I immediately purchased some, with visions of this garlic scapes recipe already dancing in my head. Last summer, I was playing around and crafted a Garlic Scape Carbonara pasta. It was delectably creamy with lots of garlic taste (but without the bite of matured garlic).
I’ve literally been waiting for a year to share this. It’s divine, delicious and delovely. I suggest you try it too.
More garlic scape recipes:
- Garlic Scape Marinated Roasted Red Peppers
- Garlic Scape Risotto
- A Nut-Free Garlic Scape Pesto at Kalyn’s Kitchen
- White Bean and Garlic Scapes Dip at New York Times
- Octopus with Fingerlings and Garlic Scapes at Foodista
- Grilled Garlic Scapes at FoodieTots
- Pickled Dilly Garlic Scapes at Becky and the Beanstock
About the Author (Author Profile)Sarah W. Caron is a freelance writer, editor and recipe developer. Her work has appeared in countless online and print publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Connecticut with her two kids, two beagles and husband.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Making Pesto the Old-Fashioned Way | Sarah’s Cucina Bella :: Family Food | April 23, 2010
- Ramps, and a Delicious Ramp Pesto | Sarah’s Cucina Bella :: Family Food | May 11, 2010
- End Result: Monster CSA Share | June 7, 2010
- friday night dinner « SARAH STUDER | July 10, 2010
- Garlic Scape Soup | Feeding Brian | July 2, 2011
- CSA week 1 | Mile Creek Farm | June 4, 2013
- garlic scapes - Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! | June 6, 2013
- What’s in the CSA? Week of June 24 | June 25, 2013
- Garlic scapes look odd, taste delicious | He eats what I make | June 27, 2013
- Week 8: And the Sun Came Out | Abundant Acres | July 8, 2013
- Garlic Scapes « welldined.com | July 31, 2013