Welcome customers of Shortt’s Farm CSA! Scroll down for a delicious Caramelized Onion and Kale Salad recipe and other fabulous recipes to use today’s produce.
Last summer, on a clear August evening, my cousin popped over to my house and dropped off a container of a delicious, refreshing curly kale salad made with whisper-thin red onion slices and a light lemony flavor. I wasn’t expecting to finish it in one sitting, but it was so good that I did.
The salad was amazing. Kale, which is usually rough and bitter, was softer and milder than I’d ever known it to be. The slivers of onion added a nice crunch and hint of sweetness. All together, it was delish.
So, when kale appeared in my CSA box last week, I knew I wanted to make a kale salad. But rather than head to the store for ingredients that we didn’t have (read: pretty much everything other than the kale), I used what we had on hand: a vidalia onion, balsamic vinegar and some little bits of beet.
It was mouthwatering. The kale was softened by the salt, tamed by the balsamic vinegar and given a great lift by the super sweet caramelized onions. The beets add that perfect bit of crunch …
Oh, it’s good. Very good. I could have eaten the whole bowl (and I wasn’t alone in that sentiment!).
Looking for more ideas for your farmshare?
In the box this week:
- Basil – Creamy Gorgonzola and Shrimp Pasta
- Mustard Greens – Mustard Greens and Beet Greens Salad with Herb Vinaigrette
- Squash – Grilled Sausage and Summer Squash with Herbs, Capers, Kalamata Olives and Lemon @ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Napa Cabbage – Guy Fieri’s Waka Waka Salad @ Sweetnicks
- Peaches – Grilled Peaches @ Cheap Healthy Good
- Corn – Mexican Grilled Corn @Food Blogga