Tomato, Bacon and Cream Pasta

| February 9, 2011 | 15 Comments

_MG_2519

This pasta is a step out of the ordinary for me.

It’s rare that I make a pound of pasta for the four of us. Usually I am a half-pound-serves-four girl, but when I was making this, I decided to indulge. Good thing I did. The kids went crazy for this pasta, each having a second helping (which means they ate one adult-portion, instead of their half portion that I scooped out).

Generally, I don’t make cream pastas either. But the carton of heavy cream was staring me down, and I wanted to use it. I wanted something rich and creamy for dinner. This totally fit the bill (without being obnoxiously bad — yes, it has bacon and cream, but not an overt amount of either).

It’s not the healthiest dinner you can have, but sometimes having something that just hits the spot is just fine. Of course, this isn’t an every night thing … but once in a while? No biggie, I think.

Just try it. It’s delicious.

What do you think? Is indulging in a pasta like this okay once in a while?

Tomato, Bacon and Cream Pasta
serves 4

4 ounces bacon, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes (do NOT drain)
1 cup pasta water
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 lb pasta, cooked (I used rotini)
freshly grated parmesan

In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until just about crisp. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the tomatoes and pasta water to the skillet and stir to combine. Allow to cook (uncovered) for 5-6 minutes, until the liquid reduces by half.

Stir the heavy cream into the skillet and allow to cook, uncovered, until it reduces to a sauce consistency (3-4 minutes).

Toss the sauce with the pasta. Serve immediately, topped with freshly grated parmesan.

_MG_2481P.S.: I should mention that I made this with Muir Glen’s Reserve Tomatoes. They were kind enough to send me some a few months back, and they are incredible. But any good quality, not-too-acidic tomato will work fine in this recipe.

P.P.S.: The free tomatoes didn’t influence my writing of this post. I just really liked the sweet, low-acid tomatoes. Oh, and I write for several General Mills’ sites too. But that has no bearing on this either.

Tags:

Category: pasta, Recipes, Stuff

Sarah W. Caron is a freelance writer, editor and recipe developer. Her work has appeared in countless online and print publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Connecticut with her two kids, two beagles and husband.

1. Tonia says:

Oh that sounds wonderful Sarah. I think this will be our Saturday evening meal with a nice salad.

And I think it’s OK to indulge in a rich pasta dish every once in a while. When you know you allow yourself an occasional indulgence, it makes it easier to be good the rest of the time.

2. Beverly says:

I agree with your once-in-a-while philosophy. I just made chocolate chip scones for breakfast–back to oatmeal tomorrow:-)

3. Karly says:

This looks delicious! I usually do a half pound for the four of us as well, but there is one pasta dish that MUST use the full pound otherwise my family would disown me. ;)

4. Kate says:

We had a creamy pasta dinner last night too! But I totally cheat and use skim milk instead of cream. I use the starchy pasta water to thicken it up.

5. patsyk says:

Sounds like a great dish… and I see no reason not to indulge once in awhile… it keeps us happy and not as likely to binge for a whole week if we haven’t fed our cravings.

6. sassymonkey says:

Of course it’s ok to indulge. Life would be very dull without indulgences.

7. allison says:

This looks delightful! I am always looking for meals my kids will eat and I think this may fit the bill as they like all of the components. I am going to give it a try.

8. 1/3 cup heavy cream and 4 ounces of bacon? That’s not so bad! Yes, I totally think it’s okay to indulge in whatever it is you love (regardless of health factors) once in a while. :-)

9. FireMom says:

I absolutely think things like this are okay now and then. Especially as I gain better control of my portions, I like that my kids can love a meal — and so can I!

10. YUM I’ve totally been craving creamy pastas because it’s so cold here. I had a big bowl of spaghetti the other night and it totally hit the spot even though I’m sure it wasn’t very waist friendly!

11. Indulging once in awhile is good for the soul! Cream , bacon and tomatoes are a perfect combination for pasta.

12. Oh yum!!! Sounds delicious and looks easy to whip up too.

13. Natalie says:

My boyfriend made this for me per my request for Valentine’s Day! It was so delicious, smokey and creamy, oh my! Thanks for sharing!

14. Oh my lawd. I just fixed this and it is INCREDIBLE!