If I had to describe this rice in just five words, they’d be creamy, bright, fresh, tender and satisfying. It’s unexpected – a very green rice, dotted with red tomatoes – but absolutely delicious. It’s a soothing mix of flavors and textures.
Avocado-Basil Rice with Tomatoes combines the flavors of mild guacamole with tender, warm rice. It’s a perfect side dish for spicy foods and bloody steaks. I came up with this one afternoon while sitting on the beach, contemplating dinner. We were having steak with a chipotle honey sauce, and I wanted something that could stand up to those flavors. This was totally it.
What made this even better for me was that it took about 10 minutes to make. I used Trader Joe’s frozen Jasmine Rice, and did everything else from scratch. Easy peasy.When dinner is late to hit the table (it was) and you don’t feel like spending a long time in the kitchen (I didn’t), then a dish like this is a blessing.
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the avocado with the prongs of a fork. Stir in the lemon juice, basil, garlic, salt and pepper and tomato.
- Pour the hot white rice into the bowl and stir well to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve immediately.