Comfort food gets an upscale makeover in these rich and creamy Smoked Gouda and Garlic Mashed Potatoes — perfect for Thanksgiving, the holidays or any day.
There’s snow in the forecast this week. Snow. As in that dreaded white stuff that drove me to the brink of insanity last winter. So, yes, snow. In October. I really hope the forecast is wrong. It’s just too soon.
Did I mention that I donated all my winter coats to charity at the end of the winter? They were too big, so I made the decision that it was time for something fresh. But I haven’t bought a new one yet. So there’s that too.
If there was ever a time that there might be a need for comfort food, now is it. And mashed potatoes? They are total comfort food on the grand scale. Add some smoked gouda and a bit of garlic to the mix and you have decadent comfort food. Is there any better kind?
The gouda – smoked gouda, to be precise – adds so much to these potatoes. The pleasant earthy smokiness, like the lingering scent open burning in the fall (it’s not a bad thing, I swear), gives them both creaminess and that smoky flavor. There’s no need for gravy or butter — they’re perfect on their own. And the garlic? It plays a happy supporting role — not overtaking the flavor, but rounding it out.
Bliss in a bite.
I served these with Apricot-Glazed Sage and Garlic Pork Tenderloin, but they’d also be good with roasted chicken or a juicy steak.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill a pot with water and salt well. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, wash and scrub the potatoes. Then cube them. I usually go for smaller cubes so that they cook faster. Add the potatoes and garlic cloves to the boiling water and cook until the potatoes are tender (for ½-inch cubes, about 20-25 minutes). Drain well.
- Return the potatoes to the pot and mash them with a potato masher or ricer. Stir in the milk and then sprinkle with the gouda. Let it sit for a minute. Then stir to combine. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.