In a nutshell: Juicy barbecue seasoned meatballs are bathed in sweet honey barbecue sauce.
Ok. Ok. Meatballs? For Thanksgiving? In barbecue sauce?!? Yes, I know it’s unusual — for Thanksgiving or otherwise. But these are seriously good — and they are just right for pre-big Thanksgiving dinner munching.
Making these is simple and can be done a day or two in advance. Prepare the whole dish as directed, and then chill then in the fridge until ready to use. They’ll just need a quick reheating before serving (recommended: stovetop), and they’re ready to go.
See, I promised you simple. You can’t beat a dish that can be made well in advance.
Why not try something a little different this holiday?
Barbecue Meatballs Appetizer
- 3/4 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp barbecue seasoning (I use McCormick Grill Mates)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, barbecue seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Then form into small (about 1-inch diameter) meatballs. Place onto a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for 10 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, warm the barbecue sauce in a medium sauce pan. Add the meatballs and toss to coat. Serve hot with toothpicks for easy grabbing.
Â© Sarah W. Caron and Sarah's Cucina Bella, 2005-2012.
Category: Appetizers, Beef, Quick and Easy Recipes, Recipes
Sarah W. Caron is a freelance writer, editor and recipe developer. Her work has appeared in countless online and print publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Connecticut with her two kids, two beagles and husband.