Dear March, enough with the cold weather. I am so over it. Bring on the warmer temperatures, skin-kissing sun rays and afternoons in the backyard. Seriously, it’s time to let go of the near-freezing temperatures and tuck the bulky coats away once and for all. Please?
Whether or not March complies with my request (and looking at the weather forecast, it’s definitely learning toward not), we’re at that part in the season when the bulky comfort foods of winter give way to lighter (but still warm and cozy) foods of spring. This is when the sun gets a little brighter (or it seems to), reminding us that we’ll soon be digging our toes into warm sand and frolicking in the salty surf.
I can’t wait for those days to come.
In our house, that means stepping away from the homemade macaroni and cheese, and focusing in on veggie-packed dishes like this one. This glorious bowl of flavors and textures.
Veggie and Bean Rice Bowls with Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette is a tangy, sweet, crisp, creamy delight. The Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette is a tart dressing infused with cilantro — with this, you don’t need cheese or anything else to make it truly sing. And sing it does — like a bowl of fabulous, Southwest-inspired goodness.
Now, what are you waiting for? Go make this!
- ½ cup medium-grain rice, prepared
- 1 can Old El Paso Refried Beans, heated up
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup torn lettuce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice, plus the zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Divide the rice evenly among four bowls. Add ¼ of the refried beans, red peppers, avocado and lettuce to each.
- Whisk together the lime juice, lime zest, cilantro and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the vinaigrette over each rice bowl.
- For a less tangy vinaigrette, add 1 teaspoon honey before whisking together.
Disclosure: I am being compensated by Old El Paso/General Mills for the creation of this recipe. All opinions are, as always, my own.