A sweet, northern-style cornbread, this one-bowl recipe for Easy Brown Sugar Cornbread can be made in about 30 minutes. It’s perfect with chili!
Painted pumpkins. A giant, warty one on our porch. Gardens of political signs. Coats. Brisk winds. All around us, the signs of mid-autumn are settling in. How did it get to be the final day of October already?
At the farmers market, the cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes of summertime have been replaced with the winter squashes in a variety of hues and patterns. There are potatoes, onions and Brussels sprouts too. And sometimes, the second planting of broccoli and cauliflower makes an appearance.
I’ve really come to love the produce of fall — especially spaghetti squash, with it’s pasta-like strands. We’ve been eating a lot of spaghetti squash lately in dishes like Baked Spaghetti Squash Bolognese and Easy Chili Spaghetti Squash, as well as a few other recipes I haven’t shared.
Speaking of chili, I love serving it with sweet cornbread — the kind I grew up on. While I realize cornbread in the south is a savory affair, it’s the sweet version of the North that I hold in my heart.
And one of the greatest things about cornbread — for me anyway — is how easy it is to make. Cornbread is a simple, one-bowl quick bread that’s ready in as little as 30-ish minutes. Just sift, mix, pour into a greased pan and bake.
So you can totally quench that last minute hankering for cornbread with your chili pretty darn easily.
Cut it into squares before serving. This tender, easy cornbread is such a joy.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with a little butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal, flour, light brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter, eggs and milk. Stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and tilt to distribute evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.