This photo doesn’t do the dish justice. I love mixing a tomato sauce with broccoli. And when it’s lightly roasted broccoli like you find in this recipe, it’s all the better. Roasting broccoli brings out a great, lightly sweet flavor in it.
Will and Paige gobbled this up.
(This is part of The $7 Dinner Challenge.)
Pasta with Chicken and Broccoli Ragu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken , cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasonings
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 head of broccoli , chopped
- 1/2 lb pasta (I like ziti)
- Add the oil to a large skillet and swirl around. Heat over a medium burner.
- In a food processor, process together the onion and garlic until finely minced. Pour into the skillet and add the chicken. Cook, stirring frequently, for about five minutes. (You want the chicken to be opaque on all sides.)
- Add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper to the pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Start a pot of water on the burner over high heat.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees and spread the broccoli onto a baking sheet. Spray lightly with olive oil spray and salt and pepper generously. Place the pan in the oven and cook for five minutes. Using a spatula, flip the broccoli lightly. Return to oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the broccoli to the sauce and uncover. Cook for 5-8 minutes, to thicken a bit. Stir frequently.
- Is your water boiling? It should be. Add the pasta to the water and cook according to package directions.
- Finally, drain the pasta. Divide it between four plates. Top with sauce. Enjoy!
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. Her latest cookbook is The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook, published by Rockridge Press, which focuses on quick, easy, from-scratch cooking for busy people. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.