Swiss cheese, meaty ham, eggs, garlic and rice combine in this easy dinner recipe for Ham and Cheese Fried Rice. Serve with a salad.
The other evening was one of those nights. You know the ones: where you just don’t feel much like cooking and really aren’t sure what to make anyway.
At first, I was going to do something with chicken and serve it over rice, but midway through the rice cooking process, I realized that I really had zero desire to trim the chicken and pound it into an even cutlet. None whatsoever, in fact.
Then, my thoughts turned to the rice, and a package of cubed ham steak in my fridge (freshly cut and packed at my local grocery store, thankyouverymuch!). Perhaps fried rice with ham?
I could just see my husband’s skeptical face through the phone when I told him what I was making … I am sure he was thinking Who puts ham in fried rice?
As I was cooking up the rice, I realized the shredded swiss in my fridge would be a perfect finisher to this obviously Americanized dish. I was so right. Every last morsel of it was devoured.
Serve this up with a fresh chopped salad and perhaps some crusty bread for a wonderful, hearty, comforting meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 cup dried rice, , prepared
- salt and pepper, , to taste
- 1/2 lb ham steak, , diced
- 2 large eggs, , beaten lightly
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a wok. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about a minute. Add the cooked rice and stir to incorporate. Add the ham, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Move the rice to one side of the skillet, exposing a section of pan. Pour the eggs into the exposed section and let cook for a minute or so. Stir to incorporate into the rice. Cook for until the eggs are set throughout.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and stir into the rice mixture. Once the cheese is melted, remove from heat.
- Serve immediately.
More Ham Recipes:
- Ham, Egg and Brie Croissant Breakfast Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken, Pineapple and Ham Kabobs
- Cheddar Ham Rolls
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.