The Super Bowl has always been one of my very favorite events of the year. The array of appetizers, the cheering, the laughs … it’s just fun. Where other big party holidays have all sorts of pressures for gift giving, making it exciting for kids and having just the right loot on hand, Super Bowl Sunday is more laid back. It’s an easy-going party night in a world of high-strung parties.
But it’s not exactly the most waist friendly event of the year. Nachos, wings, pizza, lasagna … it can all add up fast. The good news? Your Super Bowl spread doesn’t have to derail your healthy lifestyle.
Instead, make some good choices when planning your appetizers … these ones are perfect for a healthier game day spread.
Lightened Up Super Bowl Appetizer Ideas
- Honey Lime Dipping Sauce with a selection of fruit (double or triple the recipe for a party) at Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Mini Turkey Meatballs at Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Parmesan Rosemary Sweet Potato (Baked) Fries at Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Healthified Spinach Dip with Artichokes at Tablespoon
- Heart-Healthy Shrimp Dip with Veggie Dippers at Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Pico de Gallo Salsa at Sweetnicks
- Roasted Tomatillo Guacamole at Food Blogga
- Homemade (Baked) Sweet Potato Chips at Fab Frugal Food
- Chicken Tikka at The Perfect Pantry
- Pineapple-Soy Glazed Wings at The Apartment Kitchen
- Vegetable Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce at Two Peas and Their Pod
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.