Guests coming? Having something on hand for snacking is a must. This recipe for Brown Butter Garlic Snack Mix is a perfect party snack.
When I was in college, I had a roommate one semester who loved garlic bread more than anyone I had ever met. Her mom would buy her a loaf from the grocery store every week and she’d bake it up one portion at a time. As much as I adore garlic bread myself, that was a level of adoration that I hadn’t expected.
Nonetheless, I get it. The combination of warm, melted butter, garlic, salt and perhaps a little parsley and cheese is just delicious. Make that butter into a nutty brown butter and it’s extraordinary. And that’s exactly why I decided to put it on some snack mix — Brown Butter Garlic Snack Mix.
My family wasn’t the snack mix making sort of family, so honestly, the first time I ever bought these cereals was when I was making this recipe. Will was a little surprised to see me buying three boxes of cereal at once. I rarely buy cereal … and certainly not en masse. But sometimes it’s okay, right?
If you’ve never made a snack mix at home, then you are totally missing out. Sure, it sounds fussy, but it’s totally not. All you need to do is stir, mix and bake. Really!
- 2 cups Wheat Chex
- 2 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups Corn Chex
- 2 cups cheese crackers
- 1 cup small pretzel twists
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp grated Romano cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, (use regular paprika if you don't have smoked)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the three varieties of Chex, the cheese crackers and pretzels.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, stirring occasionally until it just begins to brown. Pour immediately over the cereals, crackers and pretzels. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with Romano, garlic powder, salt and paprika. Toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Cook in the preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Eat it hot from the oven or let it cool and store in an airtight container.