Last December, I had this amazing epiphany when I made Cream Biscuits for the first time. It wasn’t the first time I made biscuits, but it was the first time that it dawned on me how easy it is to make biscuits from scratch. Soon I was making Whole Wheat Biscuits on a regular basis.
But then summer came, and biscuit making took a back seat to fresh veggies and bright salads. I know some people bake all year, but I am not one of them.
Now that it’s fall again, I feel like baking biscuits again … and after having fabulous Cheddar Bacon Scones in Cape Cod, I had to try that combination in biscuit form. Cheddar cheese and salty, crisp bacon are always fabulous together. And in these tender, fluffy cheddar bacon biscuits, it’s just amazing.
And yes, they are super easy to make.
Cheddar Bacon Cream Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour , plus some additional for dusting
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp melted salted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a 9x13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, kosher salt and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the cheddar cheese and bacon. Add the cream and fold in until just incorporated.
- Lightly flour a board or surface and turn the dough out onto it. Knead gently into a ball, then pat down until it's an even 3/4 inch all around. Use a large (roughly 3 1/2 inch) round cutter to cut biscuits. Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with butter.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. Her latest cookbook is The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook, published by Rockridge Press, which focuses on quick, easy, from-scratch cooking for busy people. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.