- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 lb Gouda cheese, rind removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 1 14.1- oz can quartered artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2-3 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- 1 lb pasta of your choice, cooked per manufacturer's instructions
- In a dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Add the milk a little at a time until it's been fully incorporated. Bring the milk mixture to a boil, whisking frequently, and then cook for 1 minute.
- Stir the Gouda, spinach and artichoke hearts into the milk mixture and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese is melted. Stir in the Romano, crushed red pepper and salt until fully combined.
- Add the pasta to the pot and toss well to combine.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.