This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
Forget basic salads. Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad is a step outside the ordinary with a rich, spicy dressing and sweet potatoes. Perfect for summer.
Mother Nature has shouted loud and clear that summer isn’t over yet these last few days. With steamy high temperatures even reaching us in Maine, it’s been like a siren’s call to head to the many lakes and beaches here. And while we did so the other day, a family was barbecuing at one of the public grills.
Oh, how I love summer barbecues. Especially when they bring people together for laughter and enjoyment. While we weren’t there to dig in with that family, when my friends and family get together to barbecue, I love to bring a little unexpected flair to the table in the form of tasty, unusual recipes like my Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad.
And when I say spicy, I really do mean this is a spicy salad. Definitely not for the faint of heart. This has some serious oomph.
This version of potato salad is quick and easy to whip up and brings together two flavors I absolutely adore together: the sweetness of sweet potatoes, and the smoky spiciness of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Together with meaty garbanzo beans and zesty diced red onions, it’s worthy of the best outdoor shindigs.
Hint: It’s great when served alongside cooling foods like coleslaw. The flavors mingle well.
For this recipe, I used La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, which I have been buying for years. Walmart stocks these in the same aisle as taco shells, seasonings and other Hispanic products, along with other La Morena Products like sliced jalapeños (great for sandwiches!). And I love how the chipotle peppers in adobo bring a spicy Latino flavor to my nontraditional potato salad.
What’s hitting your barbecue table this year? Share in the comments below! And do you love the smoky spiciness of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce as much as I do?
Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 16- oz can garbanzo beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 La Morena chipotle peppers , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce (from the La Morena chipotle peppers)
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Boil the sweet potatoes to tender, about 10-15 minutes, and then drain well. Rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sweet potatoes, red onions and garbanzo beans.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the chopped chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic, honey and olive oil. Pour over the sweet potato mixture and toss well to combine.
- If desired, garnish with sliced green onions.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.