This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ShrimpItUp #CollectiveBias
Creamy avocado, crunchy popcorn shrimp and a tangy cilantro lime quinoa combine in this easy quinoa bowl recipe. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner anytime.
When I was working on my cookbook “Grains as Mains,” I tried so many different varieties of ancient grains. But the one I enjoyed working with the most was quinoa (which, to be fair, I’d already been cooking with for a while). With a shape like couscous, and the versatile nature similar to rice, it was and is something we enjoy often. Naturally gluten-free, it’s a good source of fiber and folate, among other nutrients.
As much as we adore rice bowls — and we really do love ’em — I like to switch it up and make quinoa bowls too. Variety is important, you know?
For these Avocado and Shrimp Cilantro Lime Quinoa Bowl, I used the flavors of our favorite rice dish to create a Tex-Mex themed bowl. The crispy shrimp are a nice contrast to the creamy avocado, bright tomatoes, and tangy cilantro lime quinoa in this recipe.
And let me tell you: these quinoa bowls make an awesome lunch at home, school, work, wherever. And a great dinner too. I mean, seriously, it’s crunchy, creamy, bright, tangy and fresh … all the good things.
For the shrimp, I choose some popcorn shrimp that cooked up in about 10 minutes in the oven and added a nice contrast — both in texture and flavor — to this dish. Made by SeaPak® Products, which I purchased at Walmart, these little shrimp really jazz up the recipe.
SeaPak, which also makes Butterfly Shrimp that would be fantastic in this as well, sells a variety of heat and serve seafood products including Butterfly Shrimp, Scampi, Popcorn Shrimp, Coconut Shrimp and Beer Battered Shrimp. They all are a great start to tasty meals — and the Party Size boxes, like the one I bought, offers a great quantity for sharing or using in several meals. You can find SeaPak products in Walmart’s the frozen seafood section, which is near the frozen aisles in my local store.
For more SeaPak inspiration, check out their site. You can also follow them on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube. Want to try SeaPak products? There’s a $0.75 off coupon available online, so be sure to print that off.
Now, tell me: How would you #ShrimpItUp?
Avocado and Shrimp Cilantro Lime Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup dry quinoa , prepared according to package directions
- 1 lime , zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro , plus additional cilantro for garnishing
- 2 to matoes , cut into 8 wedges each
- 2 avocados , pitted, peeled and sliced
- SeaPak Popcorn Shrimp , cooked according to package directions (about 4 portions)
- additional lime wedges for garnishing , if desired
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cooked quinoa, lime zest and juice and minced cilantro. Taste, and season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Divide the quinoa mixture evenly among four bowls. Top each with 1/4 of the tomatoes, 1/4 of the avocado and a portion of popcorn shrimp.
- If desired, garnish with cilantro leaves and a lime wedge. Enjoy immediately.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. Her latest cookbook is The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook, published by Rockridge Press, which focuses on quick, easy, from-scratch cooking for busy people. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.