This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CrispyCreations #CollectiveBias #CrispiestChicken
Chicken breasts are coated in a spiced flour and corn starch mixture cooked to crispy perfection in the air fryer or oven in this Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich recipe.
When my daughter spotted me at the end of sleepaway camp ceremony recently, her face lit up. She’d been away from a week — her first solo week ever. And while she was quick to say how much she enjoyed it and how much fun she had, she also missed home a little. Not in a homesick way, but in that gentle way you do when you spend time away from familiar settings.
We arrived home in the late morning, and I wanted to welcome her home with a flavorful, homemade meal. These Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwiches fit the bill.
Making a Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich
These Spicy Chicken Sandwiches start with crispy, breaded chicken breasts cooked with spiced flour and Argo® Corn Starch. This, when cooked properly, makes this the crispiest chicken — delightful!
Chicken breasts (choose big, thick ones!) are sliced in half then dipped in the coating mixture, egg and the coating mixture again. Then they are sprayed with cooking oil spray.
This recipe can be made in the air fryer or the oven, both with good results.
The crispy chicken is paired with creamy avocado, crisp lettuce and a soft roll.
Corn starch is the secret ingredient to the chicken coating. Argo® Corn Starch, which the brand I always use, helps make the coating noticeably crunchy and visibly browned. But that’s not all corn starch can do.
How to Use Corn Starch
Argo® Corn Starch, the leading brand of cornstarch with over 100 years of quality and trust over multiple generations, can thicken sauces, adjust textures and improve cooking. It can even help crisp veggies and meats quickly. There are so many ways to use corn starch including:
- Sauces: Corn starch is a reliable and gluten-free way to thicken sauces such as those in Hawaiian Turkey Meatballs, Chicken Leek Stew with Mashed Potatoes and Easy Pinot Noir Chicken with Mushrooms.
- Jams and Jellies: Jams and jellies are easy to whip up when you use corn starch in them. They set up so quickly! Try it in Easy Refrigerator Peach Blueberry Jam.
- Crispy Fries: Want extra crispy oven fries? Coat your potatoes in corn starch! A small amount works wonders for giving fries a reliably crisp outside, as in my Crispy Salt and Pepper Oven Fries with Curry Dipping Sauce.
- Gravy: Flour can be challenging as a thickening agent for gravy because if it isn’t added just right, it leaves clumps that won’t whisk away (hint: straining it can help). But corn starch easily whisks into hot liquids and quickly thickens gravy.
Argo is the secret ingredient you’ve been looking for — bringing endless possibilities to the table and providing a worry-free solution to thicken, adjust texture and elevate your cooking and baking. From crispy chicken to thick gravy and sidewalk chalk to slime, Argo allows you to easily deliver delicious dishes and fun activities your whole family will love.
For more ideas on how to use Argo® Corn Starch, check out the brand page. There’s recipes, tips and more!
Making a Meal
These sandwiches are a great start to a delicious meal — for lunch or dinner. Try serving them with a vegetable like steamed broccoli, Baked Green Bean Fries or Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries. Salad is also a good option.
- 2 large chicken breasts (1 lb)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Argo Corn Starch
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- cooking oil spray
- 4 sesame rolls
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 4-8 leaves lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced (optional)
- Slice the chicken breasts in half length-wise. You will now have four pieces for sandwiches of approximately the same size.
- In a medium, wide-bottom bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, ancho chile powder, black pepper, garlic powder, salt and baking powder. Crack the eggs into a second, wide-bottom bowl. Whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, gently tapping to remove excess. Dip into the egg, coating all over, and then dredge in the flour again. Spray on both sides with cooking oil spray.
- Heat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 15-18 minutes, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip once about halfway through the cooking. Repeat until all the chicken has been cooked
- Cut open the four sesame rolls, if they aren't already.
- Top each roll with a chicken breast, 1/4 of the avocado and 1/4 of the lettuce.
- Serve immediately.
If desired, add a sauce when preparing the sandwiches such as a spread of mayo on the rolls or a squirt of hot sauce on the avocado or chicken.
Oven cooking method
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the chicken on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 20 minutes, until golden all over and cooked to 160 degrees internally.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.